Maa Brahmacharini: The Second Day of Navratri- Second Incarnate-
The second avtar on the second Night:
Maa Brahmacharini is the second form of Goddess. The goddess is worshipped on the second day of the Navratri. The second avtar of Sati or Godess Parvati is Maa Brahmacharini. Here Brahma refers to tapa or penance and charini means the one who seeks penance or tapa. She is depicted as wearing white clothes. And holding Rudraksha mala in one hand and Sacred Kamandal on the other hand.
Iconography of Maa Brahmacharini:
Brahmacharini Durga. Maa Brahmacharini is depicted as walking on the bare feet. She carries rosary in the right hand and water utensil in the left hand. Maa Brahmacharini did severe penance to get Lord Shiva as her husband. She performed hard austerity and due to which she was called Brahmacharini.
She is depicted as wearing white clothes and holding Rudraksha mala in one hand and Sacred Kamandal on the other hand.
Legend of Maa Brahmacharini:
When the goddess Brahmacharini perceived that she was destined to marry Lord Shiva. Then she decided to please him in every possible way. Rishi Narad advised her to follow the path of extreme penance and dedication to please Lord Shiva.
For all this Brahmacharini suffered all the agonies of nature during her penance. She spent 1000 years on diet of flowers and fruits. And another 100 years on the diet of leafy vegetables. Furthermore, while sleeping on the floor and gave up food and water for which she is known as Aparna. She was determined to obtain Lord Shiva and after so many years, Parvati got succeeded. And Lord Shiva accepted her as her wife.
Benefits of worshipping Brahmacharini:
- People worship Brahmacharini on the second day of Navaratri. In order to acquire the ability for abstaining food and water while performing the Penance during Navratri.
- It is a myth that to get her blessing, one can fast for nine consecutive days during Navaratri without affecting the health. And one can gain the virtues for facing the challenges of mortal life with sheer determination.
- Brahmacharini is capable of providing unending benefits.
- By worshiping Brahmacharini person inculcates penancing, renouncing, dispassion, ethical conduct and restraint in himself.
- Goddess Brahmacharini rewards her devotees with peace, prosperity and happiness. The blessings of Brahmacharini also provide knowledge, determination and focus to overcome the barriers and obstacles in the life of individual.
Since Goddess Brahmacharini is also an incarnation of Goddess Durga. So she also provides with strength and fearlessness, purity of thought and a mind to do penance. Therefore, it would be good if you get perform the Durga Puja, to get the divine blessings on this Navratri.Second Day of Navratri - Maa Brahmacharini - Askganesha by Acharya Dharam Shastri