What is Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti?
It is the day of birth or the day of advent of Shani, and it mainly falls on the Amavasya tithi in the month of Vaishakh – April May. In the simplest language, it is the no moon day and it is falling on a Saturday, it is an auspicious day and a rare occurrence. It is the day for special worship of lord Shani- planet Saturn. Son of Lord Surya or sun God, he is best known for his just nature and righteousness. This day is celeberated as shani jayanti.
Legend of Shani’s birth:
Lord Surya and his wife Chhaya gave Birth to Shani, Chhaya sitting in scorching sun while meditating and doing penance to please Lord Shiva. At that time she was Pregnant, with Lord Shani in her womb. Because of scorching rays of sun and blessings of Lord Shiva, Shani was born Black in color. He was so dark that even his own father could not bear to look at him. This made Shani Dev angry and he turned his own father black, with just a look of his eyes. After the repentance of Lord Surya and his praying to Lord Shiva the curse was lifted and he came back to his normal form.
Shani as Shanishcharaya
Shani is one of the planets of nav graha, who wield a strong control over the native. It is the slowest planet and takes 30 years to complete one rotation around the sun. For this very reason he is called Shanishcharaya or the slow mover. Some consider him an inauspicious planet. But actually he is a very benevolent planet and a great benefactor. And when placed in the favourable house of the horoscope of the native.
Shani dosh or Sade Saati?
In the astrological terms, it is a time period when the Saturn enters a zodiac sign even immediately before entering the at the zodiac sign of the moon. It is believed to be weakened or occupies any of the fundamental; houses of Horoscope such as 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th and 14th houses. As the name suggests it occurs for the period of 7 ½ years and after that its presence is not felt any more. So it is prescribed that one should follow remedies in this period so that they are able to remove the malefic effects .
Shani Maha dasha
Shani Mahadasha is a period of 19 years of hard work and persistence. Saturn emphasises on strict discipline and labour by creating delays and difficulties and added responsibilities on the person. It brings sufferings and pressures, creating even more problems.
How to do on Shani puja at home?
- It is prescribed to keep an entire day’s fast from morning till evening.
- Offer oil with sesame seeds, as it is believed that giving oil to Lord Shani will enable in getting the planetary Lord’s grace it is preferred that offer mustard oil to him.
- Donate objects that are black in color or feed, black dog or Poor people.
- Worship Shani Dev Temples and light the lamp with Mustard oil and burn incense sticks.
Remedies to do on Shani Amvasya:
- Offer Navratan Haar, a necklace made from nine precious gems while performing the puja. As it will enable Shani Dev’s protection and his blessings.
- Pour Oil on the Idol of Shani Dev, if unable to find a Shani temple then pour oil on the roots of Peepal trees.
- Chant “OM PRAM PRIM PROM SAH SHANISHCARAEY NAMAH”, in Shani Mandir and perform Puja of shani dev.
- By possessing Shani yantra at your home or workplace brings prosperity and remove negative effects.
To get your special Shani Amavasya Puja done on the Shani Jayanti log on to askganesha website. Our well versed Purohit will also perform the puja with Vidhi Vidhan.Things to do on Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti - Remedies and Rituals by Astrologer Amit